Thursday, July 17, 2008

Stuck

I feel like I am stuck in a hard spot in the area of parenting Bryce. He is amazingly headstrong and very sensitive to lack of food and sleep. But he hates to sleep, going to sleep that is. Here's an example bc I really needs prayer and advice bc I really want to train him as God would have me (I have asked Him and He has been silent this far. So maybe he can speak through one of you). Today Julia had an eye MD appt and he stayed at a friend's. We got home at 2 ish - he's had no nap and J and B go play pirates for a while. He wanted juice, which I got him and added some immune booster since he has a cough and that ultimately set him off bc he didn't want that in it. He started his fit so I sent him to his room to have it and told him he could come out when he was calm. We go round and round with this bc he REFUSES to calm down but just works himself into a FRENZY people. I mean a total out of control screaming thrashing FRENZY! 30 min later same thing happening but I feel I must hold my ground and "win" and not let him out untili he is calm since that is what I stated in the beginning. I go back every 5 or so minutes to remind him what will get him out of his room. Continues to fit and scream. So then I try another tactic, holding him firmly through the fit and telling him positive things, " i love you, you're ok..." He hates it and screams for me not to hold him. He finally falls asleep at 5 pm (great) bc is exhausted- let him sleep for 45 min and when I wake him we continue right where we left off. Ugh... Jason comes home and he gets another round of discipline which just makes him escalate. I know he is exhausted but at what point do you let your kids act however bc they are so exhausted or hold your ground?? It is frustrating bc I dont feel like I know how to get through to him. I cant control life for him to make it perfect - great sleep, never hungry, etc. The kid always wakes early (before 7am) and severely resists sleep of any sort. I desperately need a Biblical 911 Nanny call!!

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Hi Brielle!
I've arrived here via Addie's blog. Isn't parenting one of the most rewarding but challenging tasks/responsibilities ever? I often feel like God is using parenting challenges to shape my character more than Caden's! Have you ever read Shepherding a Child's Heart or The Heart of Anger? Here's a link to both

http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productlist.aspx?categoryid=126&page=3

If you scroll to the bottom of that page both books are listed on the right side. I've read one and heard really good things about the other. I'll be praying that God gives you and Jason wisdom as you seek His desire for your family regarding how He wants you to handle the difficult situations. In my own opinion, it sounds like you lovingly stood firm on what the standard was that you set which I think is important. But my advice probably isn't worth a whole lot---just b/c I've read lots of parenting books doesn't mean I've had a chance to daily apply the advice like mom's with several little ones.
I'll be praying!

Tricia said...

Hey Brielle! We have seen each other several times at the pool but because my boys never sit still we have not been able to talk. I just wanted to see if things were getting better with Bryce. I hope to actually meet up with you and Jenny and really get to visit. Let me know how things are going. I will be praying about it.

da momma said...

I FOUND YOU!!! I love you girl! Your words make me laugh! I hope someday again I can give you a big ol hug! Miss You!!! Whit

da momma said...

ok read the post now...I was just so excited to find you...wow! I have days like you are describing and I just let my 2 yr old go without a nap on those crazy days although he does have to be in his room quietly for atleast an hour, and then bed extra early for the night! If he doesnt nap would he go to bed right after dinner?

da momma said...

WHERE are you?
I wanna hear whats up in your life :)
Just checking on u - whit

da momma said...

are you still
"STUCK?"